2019-2020 Online Application for Admission will open September 1, 2019 and will close at 5:00 PM on September 13, 2019. This is the ONLY sign up period during the entire school year.
Due to space limitations, we are unable to accommodate all students who apply for admission. Our club is run by parent volunteers and parent participation is the only criteria considered for admission. Please see “priority of applications” section below for a description of our process.
Click here to access the Application for Registration form.
The Mills Math Pentathlon Club is a parent-run organization that follows the curriculum of the National Mathematics Pentathlon Institute. The curriculum consists of 5 grade-specific games designed for students with a broad range of abilities. The games develop logical, computational, and spatial reasoning in a highly motivational format. The games use a variety of physical models to hone strategic thinking and problem solving skills. And, they’re fun too!
Our Math Pentathlon Club meets after school on Wednesdays and ends at 4:15pm. Our first meeting is scheduled for October 2, 2019. In the fall, we spend 10 weeks reviewing and learning all five of the Math Pentathlon games specific to each division and will wrap up with a popcorn party. In the spring, fall participants wishing to attend the tournament will continue to meet. Spring practices are focused on additional tournament rules and strategies (Tournament registration of $42 must be paid by Dec 20, 2019 & spring volunteer dates must be provided if students wish to continue in the Spring Semester – fee is paid directly to the Math Pentathlon Institute).
Tournament participation is strongly encouraged and required to continue with the club in the Spring. Please consider committing to the tournament before signing your child up for Math Club. All students attending tournament will need an adult to attend with them and serve as either a game monitor or stand chaperone for the whole group. A game monitor training will be offered in the spring for new families. If you cannot commit to the tournament dates at this time, please know that we still expect a focused attitude during each session.
Tournament dates will be posted on the Math Pentathlon Institute’s Website in September:
Division I (Grade K-1) Spring 2020
Division II (Grade 2-3) Spring 2020
Division III (Grade 4-5) Spring 2020
For more information on the tournaments please see http://www.mathpentath.org/austin-area/
CODE OF CONDUCT
We hold all students and families to the highest code of conduct. Both students and parents must sign a commitment contract, agreeing to work cooperatively, show good sportsmanship, follow directions and respect authority. We see membership as a privilege; those who are unable or unwilling to cooperate may be asked to leave.
Due to the high demand for the Math Pentathlon club, there are two stages to our application process. We are unable to accommodate all families due to space limitations Division enrollment is limited by the number of parents willing to commit to leadership (coach & coordinator) positions. This club is 100% volunteer-led and all families are expected to volunteer regularly.
- Submit your online Application (below), one for EACH child that would like to participate, between September 1 and September 13, 2019.
- Registration Confirmation or Waitlist
- Registration Confirmation – If space is available, you will be notified (via email) by September 15 of your team placement. You are required to submit your $50 non-refundable registration fee by September 20, 2019. Further instructions will be provided in your confirmation email.
- Waitlist – If space is not available, you will be placed on the Waitlist. Spaces may become available if families do not complete the registration process or cancel their team placement prior to September 20.
- Team placement will be closed on September 30, 2019.
***The $50 fee will cover training for coaches, supplies, games, club t-shirt, incentives, winter break popcorn party, end of year party and awards, and admission for Division 1 chaperones at end of year party.***
***Scholarships for club fees are available. For information contact email@example.com***
PRIORITY OF APPLICATIONS
Space is limited, so enrollment is handled with the following priority:
- School Coordinator, Team Coaches and Team Coordinators will receive automatic placement on the MP team. New coaches MUST email School Coordinators, Megan Lowary & Jinny Suh, at firstname.lastname@example.org and confirm commitment & availability to attend training and practices in order to receive priority placement.
- Returning families that commit to regularly volunteering during team practice (at least 5 practices in the fall and 5 practices in the Spring).
- New families that commit to regularly volunteer during team practice (at least 5 practices in the fall and 5 practices in the Spring).
- Returning families – limited volunteering (only admitted if space is available).
- New families – limited volunteering (only admitted if space is available).
***For the 2019-2020 school year we anticipate capping enrollment in Division I at 16 students and Division II and III at 20 students per division. Please note that when considering applications at the same priority level, the team will take gender and grade balancing into account in an attempt to build the most cohesive team.***
Family volunteers can be parents, grandparents, neighbors, college students, babysitters, nannies, aunts and uncles, etc. – any adult willing to learn games and participate at team practices. We are a cooperative volunteer organization and need families willing to support our weekly practices by actively participating. Please apply even if you know you cannot volunteer at the meetings. There may be a situation where we have additional volunteers and can accept more students, but this situation is not guaranteed. All volunteers will need to fill out the background check form at Austin Partners in Education. https://www.austinpartners.org/getinvolved
If you have any questions about this form, please email Mills School Coordinators Megan Lowary & Jinny Suh at email@example.com.